Lawmaker representing Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has denied being the main person behind the attempt to remove former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa of the Lagos Assembly.
The controversy followed comments from the Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, Femi Gbajabiamila, who suggested Elliot played a major role in the political tension around the Speaker’s position.
According to a report by Channels News on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, speaking in a television interview, Elliot said he was not in the country when the removal process began and only signed the document after returning, when he saw that many lawmakers had already supported it. He added that he believed the decision had the backing of higher authorities at the time.
He explained that President Bola Tinubu, Bola Tinubu, later clarified he did not approve the removal, after which the situation was resolved and Obasa returned to his position.
Elliot also expressed surprise at Gbajabiamila’s comments, saying it was unexpected from someone he respects as a political mentor.
On his political future, Elliot said he has not been asked to step down from his re-election bid and insists that leadership should be decided by voters during elections. He maintained that if the people choose him again, he will continue serving.
He also raised concerns about political pressure in his constituency, calling for fairness and calm ahead of party primaries.
In his words, “The president has said let the people decide. If they want you to continue, you continue.”….Read_More…
